Oral Health Awareness Week
HITEC-IMS Dental College celebrated an Oral Health Awareness Week from December 11th to December 15th, 2023. This collaborative initiative aimed to enhance awareness about the significance of oral health within our community. Throughout the week, various activities were organized to educate and involve participants. These activities included an awareness walk, an interschool video competition, the visit of school principals in dental college, and the arrangement of awareness sessions and lectures.
Dr. Irfan Shah, the Principal of Dental College HITEC-IMS, initiated the campaign, while Dr. Maria Rabbani,Assistant Professor Community Dentistry led the organizing committee. Other key members included Dr. Mariam Saeedullah, Dr. Sana Tariq, Dr. Shahan, along with house officers.
The campaign commenced with lectures by Dr. Maria Rabbani on December 4th and 5th at HITEC school for girls and boys, focusing on oral health awareness. These lectures served as a valuable tool for school teachers and students, promoting the integration of oral health practices into daily life, with an emphasis on making informed nutritional choices.
Highlights of the Oral Health Awareness Week:
Awareness Walk (December 11th): The week started with an awareness walk in which the Director HITEWT, Director Academics, Principal of Dental College HITEC-IMS, faculty members from Clinical and basic sciences, and house officers participated. The walk started from the college’s main entrance to the HITUDE monument and was joined by students from Margalla school. Dr. Rida delivered an awareness talk at the end of the walk, aiming to foster oral health awareness among school and college students. The main aim of walk was actively engaging the community, enhancing public visibility, promoting student participation, and delivering key oral health messages
- Interschool Video Competition (December 12th): A video competition themed “Bright Smiles, Healthy Styles” took place, involving students from 11 different schools. The competition aimed to encourage participants to creatively explore and communicate the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene practices for overall health and well-being. Judges Dr. Waheed, Dr. Shahzana, and Dr. Ambreen evaluated the videos, and cash prizes were given to top three positions and and certificates were awarded to all participants. The Principal of Dental College HITEC-IMS delivered closing remarks.
- Visit of Principals of Different Schools to Dental College (December 14th): Principals from eight different schools, along with faculty members, were invited to visit Dental College HITEC-IMS. The guests were briefed about the various activities and initiatives undertaken by Dental College HITEC-IMS to promote oral health awareness which includes details about educational programs, community outreach research endeavors, and any innovative practices followed by a tour of various clinical departments to show the state-of-the-art facilities available at the dental college. The briefing provided an opportunity for the Principals to engage in discussions with faculty members and key personnel from the dental college. At the end the shields were presented to the guests.
- Awareness Session (December 15th): Lectures were conducted at HITEC University by Prof. Dr. Irfan Shah on Oral Cancers and maxillofacial pathologies, focusing on their causes, symptoms, and early diagnosis. Dr. Shahreen presented on the importance of general dentistry, oral health, disease prevention, and early treatment.
The campaign concluded with dental screening by house officers and the community dentistry department at the Educators School, Taxilla on December 15th. Over 250 students were examined and an awareness lecture was also delivered by Dr.Arooba,Dr. Hamna and Dr.Alishba to the students.
EVENT INFO :
- Start Date:December 11, 2023
- Start Time:10:00am
- End Date:December 15, 2023
- End Time:3:30pm
- Number of Participants:500
- Location:Dental College, HITEC-IMS Taxila Cantt